Sunday, June 25, 2017

Scribbles From My Scrap Studio - June 2017



Quick and easy works for me.

Obviously that is why I like making counterfeit kits -- to speed up my scrapbooking.  Another way in which I apply the quick and easy concept relates to scrapbook inspiration.
   
Like many of you, I have Pinterest boards full of layouts that I refer to now and again.  Honestly, I have to admit most of those pinned layouts are well over 2 years old.  If I am in a hurry-up-and-scrap-something mode, I am more likely to reach for something nearby.

I don’t want to have to refer to the computer first (where I can be distracted by other things). Here are some recent examples of other sources:


Product inserts -

like this old Autumn Leaves stamp set (2009).  I picked up this stamp set cheap at the Creating Keepsakes event in April, and within days of bringing it home I had used the layout here as a starting point for one of my own.



Catalogs –

like Close to My Heart are full of scrapbook layout ideas.  In fact, they pretty much trounce their rival competitor, Stampin Up (my preferred stamp vendor) with examples of easy but creative layouts.  Here is an example of one I spied for a layout last month.





Annual Planner -

from Scrapbook and Cards Today has monthly sketches with examples.  I have bought these for the last 3 years.  I never have enough discipline to attempt all the sketches, but I always manage a few.  This one is an example.


Class handouts –

after I have completed a scrapbooking class, especially at conventions or crops, I vacillate on whether or not to hold onto the instructions.  Will the possibility of referring back to the handout outweigh my desire to clear clutter and toss it?  Here is a recent example where the former proved true.


Sketch classes –

I have taken more than a few online sketch classes.  By far, my favorites were some of the earlier ones, maybe because I am now confident enough in my skills that I prefer the simpler sketches that get me started, but don’t force me into finishing a certain way.  I ALWAYS print out the class handouts, and appreciate those classes that give you a summary of just the sketches with examples at the end.  Here is one of the old Studio Calico Sketchbook class examples -  notice there are no embellishments specified.







Page starts -

I also occasionally refer back to Shimelle’s starting points posts – remember those?  In my mind these are a great way to use up scraps when trying to kill a kit.  Sometimes I will make up the starting point and file it away, sometimes it will be started and finished all at once. Having printed out a lot of them, I resurrected this sheet not long ago to finish off these last few Heidi Swapp papers.


So there you have it.  For quick and easy inspiration, I prefer paper over the ‘puter!


You will notice that scrapbook magazines are not listed there.  I haven’t subscribed in years, since Scrap 365 was discontinued.  I only get the occasional issue of Scrapbook and Cards today when it is free in an order from that huge online scrapbook store I love so much.  I do flip through the online issues of magazines, but I rarely print out ideas or refer back to them. (I know I am dreadfully old school.)

How about you – what is your go-to source for inspiration when you want it to be quick and easy?  How do you keep yourself focused when faced with all the inspiration available online?  Do tell!

And why not try reaching for one of those sources of inspiration, completing a layout and uploading it to our Facebook community group.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Compliance with the new European Union E-Privacy Regulation

If you leave a comment on this blog, you do so with the knowledge that your name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog, that you have published your own personal details and that you have consented for your personal information to be displayed.
This blog is currently generated from the USA with contributors from Europe, Australia and the USA.